Cost-Share Funding Available for Natural Resource Management Practices
KCD empowers land managers to be better stewards of natural resources. KCD’s Landowner Incentive Program (LIP) provides landowners with cost-share assistance to support implementation of conservation practices on private property. Landowner expenses associated with pre-approved conservation practices are matched with KCD cost-share funding at a ratio of 50% to 90% of the total cost of projects. Cost-share ratios vary by conservation practice (see “Eligible Practices” listed below)
To receive funding, cost-share practices must be included in a farm management or other technical assistance plan prepared by KCD resource conservation staff.
Applications for 2018 will be accepted on a monthly basis through November.
To initiate the application process, contact your KCD Resource Planner.
If you have not worked with a KCD Resource Planner, please fill out the Request for Assistance Form and you will be assigned one shortly.
Questions about cost-share? Contact Alex Martinsons, KCD Resource Specialist at 425-282-1951 or email@example.com.
Application Information & Considerations
- Landowners and managers within the King Conservation District service area may apply.*
- Eligible practices must be included in a KCD prepared farm management or other technical assistance plan and require advanced planning.
- Maximum amounts apply to each eligible conservation practice.
- Applicants may apply for only one practice at a time. (Exceptions apply)
- Applicants will be notified of award within 15 business days of application deadline (See 2018 calendar for deadline dates).
- There will be no reimbursement for expenses incurred prior to the award of cost-share.
- In-kind labor and use of personally owned machinery are eligible for reimbursement.
- Project expenses will be reimbursed upon verification of practice implementation.
- Applicants are expected to maintain the project for the lifetime of each funded practice.
- Maintenance documentation will include site visits by KCD staff and photo documentation by the landowner.
- Expenses reimbursed by the KCD Landowner Incentive Program are considered reportable income by the IRS.
- Applications are prepared with support from your KCD Resource Planner. To initiate the process, contact your planner.
* Note: King Conservation District cost-sharing is available to all landowners within the District boundaries, which includes all of King County except for the cities of Enumclaw, Federal Way, Milton, Pacific, and Skykomish.
|Best Management Practice (click for a definition and pictures)||% of Total Cost Reimbursable||$/ Unit Max||Practice Maximum||Maximum Reimbursement|
|Aquatic Area Buffer Planting||90%||$30,000/project||$30,000||$27,000|
|Building Relocation from Aquatic Area/Buffer||50%||Case by case||$20,000||$10,000|
|Bulkhead Removal||75%||Case by case||$40,000||$30,000|
|Forest Health Management||75%||$30,000/project||$30,000||$22,500|
|Heavy Use Protection Area||50%||$1,400/ animal||$40,000||$20,000|
|Coming Soon! Pasture Health Management||50%||$325/acre||$20,000||$10,000|
|Roof Run-off Structure||50%||$7/ft||$20,000||$10,000|
|Waste Storage Facility||75%||$1,000/animal||$30,000||$22,500|
|Watering Facility||50%||Case by case||$20,000||$10,000|
Example Calculation: Farmer Tim has 4 horses and would like to install a waste storage facility. KCD will reimburse 75% of a the total project cost, up to a practice cap of $1,000 per animal unit. Therefore, Farmer Tim’s practice cap is $4,000 (4 AU x $1,000/AU = $4,000 practice cap), and the maximum he can be reimbursed is $3,000 (75% of $4,000). Additionally, if the actual practice cost is below $4,000, he will be reimbursed no more than 75% of all eligible expenses associated with the actual project cost.
4 animal units X $1,000 per animal unit = $4,000 practice cap
KCD Reimburses 75% of actual expenses. If actual expenses = $4,000 then reimbursement will be $3,000.
$4,000 X .75 = $3,000 reimbursed to Farmer Time
Completed Project Forms
For all information regarding the program and previously awarded LIP cost-share contracts, contact Alex Martinsons at 425-282-1951 or firstname.lastname@example.org.