KCD offers aquatic area enhancement services to help livestock and agricultural landowners protect and improve the health of streams, rivers, wetlands, lakes and ponds. A band of vegetation, called a buffer, planted adjacent to a water body with native trees and shrubs can improve water quality, stabilize shorelines, and enhance fish and wildlife habitat. Many landowners do not have the money or expertise to plant buffers on their own; but KCD is available to make aquatic area enhancement possible by designing and installing buffer enhancement projects. KCD buffer services include free project design, a generous cost share rate to pay for labor and materials associated with removing invasive species (such as blackberry and ivy) and planting native species in their place. KCD will also provide three years of free maintenance and monitoring to ensure a high rate of plant survival.

Who is eligible?

Landowners or land managers with a KCD Farm Conservation Plan and pastures adjacent to a stream, river, wetland, lake or pond.

What is a buffer?

A buffer is a band of vegetation along a stream, river, wetland, lake or pond.

What are the benefits?

  • Cleaner water
  • Improved shoreline stability
  • Attractive native plants for increased property value
  • Enjoyment of fish and wildlife
  • Improved land stewardship!
  • How much will it cost?

What is included?

KCD provides complete design and project management at no cost. Landowner is responsible for 10% of labor and materials. KCD and Washington State Conservation Commission cover the other 90%.

Labor includes: Invasive plant removal, replanting of native plants, and maintenance.

Materials include: Plants, mulch, etc.

For more information about this program and other conservation services contact Jacobus Saperstein at 425-282-1912 or jacobus.saperstein@kingcd.org.

Translate ยป