King Conservation District provides low-cost rental of equipment for small-scale producers to safely process poultry for home consumption, or to slaughter poultry for direct marketing with a WSDA permit. At this time no other poultry processing equipment is available for rent in King County. This KCD project helps producers fill the demand for locally-grown chicken, turkey, and other poultry.
2022 Equipment Rental Procedures
KCD poultry processing equipment is available for a rental fee of $40/weekend with a $40 refundable cleaning deposit.
Delivery Fee: $2 per mile (not to exceed $100)
Cleaning Deposit: $40 (to be refunded upon return of the equipment being satisfactorily clean)
After extensive research, KCD selected Featherman Poultry Processing Equipment because of its high quality, reasonable cost, and the company’s commitment to customer service.
For first-time renters, please watch the video on Featherman’s YouTube Channel.
Our equipment rental package includes:
- Featherman Gamebird Plucker
- Dunker and Shackles
- Kill Cone Stand
- Killing Cones
- Large turkey (3)
- Small turkey (2)
- Broiler (7)
- Gamebird (4)
You will need to provide:
- Power source for the plucker and scalder
- Food-safe buckets
- Propane tank to connect to the scalder for heating the scalding water
- Hose and water source
- Chill tanks or food-safe coolers
- Poultry storage bags (or freezer-safe zipper food storage bags)
- Soap, scrubbing brushes and bleach for clean-up
- Appropriate area to disperse waste water
- Garbage or composting options for offal and feather waste
See the Featherman YouTube channel for excellent videos of the poultry processing equipment in operation.
KCD’s poultry processing equipment package is contained in a 4′ x 6′ trailer.
WSDA Poultry Processing Information
No permits are required to process poultry for home consumption. Washington State Department of Agriculture created a special permit to allow on-farm processing of up to 1,000 birds for direct marketing. See the external links below for details on the permit and additional information for small-scale producers.
- Special Poultry Permit to Slaughter, Prepare and Sell Whole Raw Poultry
- Handbook for Special Poultry Permit to Slaughter, Prepare and Sell Whole Raw Poultry
- Selling and Processing Poultry
* King Conservation District Service Area
The Poultry Processing Equipment is available for use by residents in King Conservation District’s service area, which includes 34 cities and all of unincorporated King County. The incorporated cities of Enumclaw, Federal Way, Skykomish, Milton, and Pacific are outside KCD’s boundaries, but residents in those communities may rent the equipment on a case-by-case basis for an additional fee.